"STOKEINTEIGNHEAD, or Stoke-in-Teign-head, is a small viIlage in a picturesque dell, about half a mi}e from the sea coast, one mile south of the estuary of Teign, and 4 miles E. of Newton Abbot. Its parish is one of the detached members of Wonford Hundred, and contains about 620 inhabitants, and 2250 acres of land, including the hamlets of Gabwell and Rocombe, and also part of Ringmore, a suburb of Shaldon, on the south side of the Teign, opposite the town of Teignmouth. . . . The Church (St. Andrew,) has a tower and four bells, and was repewed about 20 years ago." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Wonford Hundred, the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.
Whitemore, J. Monumental Brass at Stoke in Teignhead Church. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 33, 8 (1977) pp.300-302.
Stokeinteignhead - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).
Parish Registers going back to 1538 are held in the Devon Record Office.
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1538 are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1800-1837 - for details see their book list.
Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1538-1837, and Marriages 1538-1836.
An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Alphington, Ashcombe, Bishopsteignton, Chudleigh, Combeinteignhead, Dawlish, Dunchideock, East Ogwell, East Teignmouth, Exminster, Haccombe, Ide, Kenn, Kenton, Mamhead, Powderham, Shaldon, Shillingford St. George, Starcross, Stokeinteignhead, St. Thomas the Apostle (by Exeter), Trusham, West Ogwell and West Teignmouth. Includes Chudleigh United Reformed Church and East Teignmouth Zion Independent Chapel Burials. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Directory (1850) and Kelly's Directory of Devonshire (1902), CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2015). [Alphington Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1812-1837; Ashcombe Bapt: 1813-1841 Mar: 1754-1836 Bur: 1783-1837; Bishopsteignton Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Chudleigh Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Chudleigh United Reformed Chapel Bur: 1834-1836; Combeinteignhead Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1800-1837; Dawlish Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Dunchideock Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1756-1836 Bur: 1813-1851; East Ogwell Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1755-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; East Teignmouth Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1755-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; East Teignmouth Zion Independent Chapel Bur: 1809-1836; Exminster Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1836 Bur: 1813-1837; Haccombe Bapt: 1821-1842 Mar: 1773-1801 Bur: 1829-1839; Ide Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Kenn Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1836 Bur: 1813-1837; Kenton Bapt: 1813-1844 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Mamhead Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Powderham Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1835 Bur: 1785-1837; Shaldon Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Shillingford St. George Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1765-1837 Bur: 1680-1842; Starcross Bapt: 1815-1840 Mar: 1828-1837 Bur: 1828-1837; Stokeinteignhead Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1836 Bur: 1800-1837; St.Thomas the Apostle (by Exeter) Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Trusham Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1743-1837 Bur: 1750-1837; West Ogwell Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1755-1843 Bur: 1813-1839; West Teignmouth Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837.]
Section on Stokeinteignhead (& Shaldon Green) from Samuel Lewis: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831), provided by Mel Lockie.
Conservation Area Appraisal for Stokeinteignhead - an interesting account of the area, with numerous photographs and maps.
Lee, Alfred. The village of Stokeinteignhead. Devon Life vol. 10 no. 79 (1973) pp.34-35; ill.
Transcript of entry in White's Devonshire Directory of 1850.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stokeinteignhead to another place.
This parish is one of the growing number of places for which the Devon Heritage website provides census or parish register transcriptions, articles, and/or illustrations, etc.
Ball, Nan S. Ball family of Stoke-in-Teignhead, Devon, England. Charleston: [Nan S.Ball] (1944) 30p: ill. [Includes pedigrees, 17-19th c.] [Westcountry Studies Library - p929.2/BAL]
Davis, Walter Goodwin. The Sealy brothers of the Isles of Shoals. New England Hist. & Gen. Reg. 85, 1931, pp. 74-79.
Davis, Walter Goodwin. Genealogical research in England: Cowes of Ipswich, Mass:, New England Hist. & Gen. Reg. 85, 1931, pp. 385-8.
Seavey, James I. The ancestry of Elisha Porter Seavey, 1838-1913. Ann Arbor, Michigan: Edwards Bros., 1958. [Of Stokeinteignhead and the United States, medieval-19th c.]
You can see the administrative areas in which Stokeinteignhead has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Calver, G. The lost village of Labrador and the medieval Stokeinteignhead story. (1945) p: ill, map. [Westcountry Studies Library - sB/STO 5/0001/CAL]
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX915705 (Lat/Lon: 50.524192, -3.532), Stokeinteignhead which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Captain James Pinkham And The Loss Of The West Point by Mark Stanford Robbins.
Roll of honour: Stokeinteignheads, 1914. Manuscript [1960?] 15p. [Westcountry Studies Library - p940.467/STO/ROL
Transcription of the will of Henry Hearder (1850), provided by Ian Hearder.