Some Old Devon Churches
By J. Stabb
London: Simpkin et al (1908-16)
Transcribed and edited by Dr Roger Peters
Full text available at
Between 1908 and 1916, John Stabb, an ecclesiologist and photographer who lived in Torquay, published three volumes of Some Old Devon Churches and one of Devon Church Antiquities. A projected second volume of the latter, regarded by Stabb himself as a complement to the former, did not materialize because of his untimely death on August 2nd 1917, aged 52. Collectively, Stabb's four volumes present descriptions of 261 Devon churches and their antiquities.
STOKENHAM. St. Michael and All Angels. The church, which is one of the largest in the county, consists of chancel, nave, north and south aisles, north and south transepts, south porch, and tower containing six bells. The church was consecrated in 1431.
There is a rood screen to nave and aisles of Perpendicular type [plate 224]. The groining is gone, but the screen has been restored and redecorated. On the lower panels are figures of Apostles and saints which have been repainted. The walls of the chancel are covered with slabs of Devonshire marble. The stone pulpit is coloured and gilt, and was the gift of Freemasons during the incumbency of the Rev. John Charles Carwithen; on the panels are carved symbols of the craft. In the south transept is a stained glass window in memory of 28 persons who perished in the wreck of the Spirit of the Ocean, on the coast, on March 23rd 1866.
The registers date: baptisms, 1578; marriages, 1574; burials, 1570.