"STOODLEIGH is a parish and small village, 5 miles south-south-west from Bampton station on the Exe Valley line of the Great Western railway and 5¾ north-north-west from Tiverton, in the North Eastern division of the county, hundred of Witheridge, Cullompton petty sessional district, Tiverton union and county court district, rural deanery of Tiverton West, and archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter. The church of St. Margaret is an edifice of stone in the Early English and Later styles. . . . the edifice was restored during 1872-80, chiefly by members of the Daniel family and the Rev. J. Bockett M.A. late rector, at a cost of £2,300: the stained east window is a memorial to the late Thomas Daniel esq. d. 1872, and his wife, and was inserted in 1880; and there are others to the Daniel family. A clock, given by Mrs. Dunning, of Stoodleigh Court, was placed in the tower Feb. 1897: the church affords 304 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1603; marriages and burials, 1597. . . . The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 4,459 acres of land and 14 of water; rateable value £2,972; the population in 1901 was 369." [From: Kelly's Directory of Devonshire, 1902]
A parish in Witheridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter. According to Peskett, Warbrightsleigh, a chapel of ease in this parish, lapsed at the Reformation.