From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

Transcribed by Neil Stanton

STOWFORD, a small village, in the valley of one of the tributary streams of the river Lyd, seven miles E.N.E. of Launceston, has in its parish 647 souls, and 2066 acres of land, including Sprytown hamlet, and many scattered houses. Hy. Blagrove, Esq., is lord of the manor of Milford, but that of Stowford belongs to Mrs. Harris, together with Haine and Stone estates, which have been held by the Harris family many generations. She has a handsome seat here, called Haine Castle - a large quadrangular mansion, in the castellated style erected 40 years ago. The Church is a handsome structure, with a tower, six bells, and several monuments belonging to the Harris family, one of whom was master of the household to Geo. II and III. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £11. 12s. 6d., and in 1831 at £270, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Jno. Wollocombe, M.A., who has 55A. 2R. 22P. of glebe, and a handsome residence. The Parish Land comprises a farm of 30A., and a wood of 6A., given by Mrs. Trist, in the 16th century, for the repairs of the church, and the surplus for the poor. The dividends of £300 three per cent. consols, purchased with the gift of Margaret Doyle, in 1791, are paid for schooling poor children.

Bickle John, shopkeeper & shoemaker
Bratton Mrs. Issington
Brown Ann, shopkeeper
Chagwin John, swine dealer
Ellis John, shopkeeper
Harris Mrs Eliz. Haine Castle
Perry Solomon, vict.,, Royal Oak
Rundle Wm. shopkeeper and carpenter
Scoffern Rt. beerhouse, Portgate
Oxman Arthur carpenter, Portgate
Wollocombe Rev Jno., M.A., & Rev J. B Rectory

Pedrick John
Spear Ralph, Spry
Braund Arscott
Brown Charles
Combe John
Down Mr
Guscott Richard
Jackman John
Northcott Richard
Northcott Wm.
Perry Mrs
Rowe Thomas
Rundle Richard
Scoffern John D
Woods Henry

Brian Randell, 2 Sep 2003