From Post Office Directory of 1856
Transcribed by Margaret Cook
STOWFORD is a township and small village in Lifton Hundred and Tavistock Union, 7 miles from Launceston, and 9 from Okehampton; the parish contains 2,066 acres, and the population, in 1851 was 576. Mrs. Harris is the principal landowner and proprietor of the Haine and Stone estates. Haine Castle is an ancient building, now uninhabited. The church is an ancient structure, containing monuments to the Harris family, and a marble statue of Christopher Harris, Esq. The living is a rectory, valued at £270 per annum, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. John Wollocombe, M.A. Sprytown, Portgate, Millford and Airacott are places here.
Wollocombe Rev. John, M.A.
Bickle John, shopkeeper & shoemaker.
Braund Arscott, farmer.
Brown Anne (Mrs.), shopkeeper.
Chagwin John, hog dealer, Sprytown.
Combe John, farmer, Sprytown.
Ellis William, shopkeeper, Portgate.
Guscott Richard, farmer, Airacott.
Jackman John, farmer, Millford.
Northcott Lewis, shopkeeper & miller.
Northcott Richard, farmer.
Northcott William, farmer.
National School, Miss Susan Gillard, mistress.
Perry Soloman, "Royal Oak".
Rowe Thomas, farmer.
Rundle Wm. carpenter & shopkeeper
Scoffern John, farmer.
Scoffern Robt. "Harris Arms" Portgate
Southcombe John, tailor.
Spear Ralph, miller.
Squance William, farmer.
Woods Henry, farmer.
Letters through Lew Trenchard.
The nearest money order office is at
Brian Randell, 22 Mar 2004