From White's Trade Directory of 1878/79
Transcribed by Margaret Cook
STOWFORD is a parish and small village, in the valley of one of the tributary streams of the Lyd, 7 miles E.N.E. of Launceston. It is in Tavistock union, county court district, archdeaconry and rural deanery, Lifton hundred and petty sessional division, and Southern division of the county. It includes Sprytown hamlet, and had 466 inhabitants (227 males, 239 females) in 1871, living in 95 houses, on 2065 acres of land. Henry Bradshawe, Esq., is lord of the manor of Milford, but that of Stowford belongs to Edward Blackburn, Esq., together with Haine and Stone estates (about 1100 acres), which were held by the Harris family for many generations. He has a handsome seat here called Haine, a large quadrangular building in the castellated style, erected about 70 years ago, and completed by its present owner, who purchased the estate about 16 years ago. The estate is noted for the growth and quality of its oak. Three limestone quarries have been worked in the parish, but they are now abandoned.
The CHURCH (St. John), a handsome structure, consisting of nave, chancel, north and south aisles, and tower containing six bells, was restored in 1876, under the direction of Sir G.G.Scott, R.A. In the church are several monuments belonging to the Harris family, one of whom was master of the household to George 11, and George 111. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £11 12s, 6d, and in 1831 at £270, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. John Bidlake Wollocombe, M.A, who has 55A, 2R. 22P. of glebe, and a residence. A Parochial School, partly endowed, is supported by the rector and Mr Blackburn. The Parish Land comprises a farm of 36 acres, given by Mrs Trist in the sixteenth century, for the repairs of the church, and the surplus for the poor. The dividends of £300 Three per Cent. Consols, purchased with the gift of Margaret Doyle, in 1791, are paid for schooling poor children.
LETTERS, via Lew Down, but Lifton is the nearest Money Order Office. Letters for Portgate via Lifton, which is the nearest Money Order Office.
Alvarangia Mrs Jane. Parochial school mistress, Sprytown.
Bickle Benjamin & James, farmer, Haine.
Blackburn Mr. Edward. Haine house.
Braund Samuel Banbury, farmer, Barbary ball.
Brown William, Blacksmith.
Chegwyn John, farmer and pig dealer. Sprytown.
Combe Jacob, Farmer, Sprytown.
Combe William, farmer, Sprytown.
Deadman William Ford, Parochial
school master and organist.
Down John, carpenter, Portgate.
Ellis Mr John, Chapel house, Portgate.
Essery Henry, farmer, Townley.
Littlejohns William, shoemaker. Portgate hill.
Northcott William, carrier.
Northey Edwd, farmer, Castle farm.
Parker Rev. Geo. (Baptist), Sprytown.
Phillifant John, marine store dealer.
Prout Jno. Barrett, farmer, Stone park.
Rowe Thomas, farmer, Sprytown. clerk.
Scoffern Robert, victualler, Harris Arms, and corn and flour dealer, Portgate.
Spear Ralph, miller, Spry mills.
Squance Mrs Jane, Parochial school mistress.
Squance John, farmer.
Squire Joseph, farmer, Milford.
Tancock William, farmer and cattle dealer, Sprytown.
Trewin Thomas, farmer, Stowford Barton.
Trewin ----, farmer, Stowford Barton.
Tubb John, shopkeeper, Portgate.
Wise George, farmer, West Rowden.
Wollocombe Rev. John Bidlake, M.A. rector, The Rectory.
CARRIER - William Northcott to Tavistock Fri, and Launceston Sat.
Brian Randell, 12 Mar 2004