[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"SWIMBRIDGE, a parish in the hundred of South Molton, county Devon, 5 miles S.E. of Barnstaple, its post town. The village is large, and surrounded by hills. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to that of Landkey, in the diocese of Exeter. The church, dedicated to St. James, contains a sculptured stone pulpit, with figures of saints, a carved wooden screen, and tombs of the Chichesters of Athrington. The parochial charities produce about £132 per annum. There is a school for both sexes. The Baptists and Wesleyans have chapels. The Duke of Bedford is lord of the manor."
"ACCOT, a hamlet, in the parish of Swimbridge, in the hundred of Southmolton, in the county of Devon, 2½ miles distant from Swinbridge, 5 miles. E. from Barnstaple railway station. It is situated in a valley surrounded by hills."
"DENNITON, a hamlet in the parish of Swimbridge, hundred of Braunton, in the county of Devon, 4 miles S.E. of Barnstaple."Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003