A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
SWIMBRIDGE, a parish in the hundred of SOUTH MOLTON, county of DEVON, 4¼ miles (S. E. by E.) from Barnstaple, containing 1374 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, with that of Landkey annexed, in the jurisdiction of the Consistorial Court of the Bishop of Exeter, endowed with £400 private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £800 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Dean of Exeter. The church, dedicated to St. James, is a fine specimen of the later style of English architecture, with a spire; it contains a stone pulpit, enriched with figures of saints, and the nave and chancel are separated by a handsome wooden screen. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Sixteen children are instructed for £6 per annum, arising from the parish estate. The village is situated in a hollow surrounded by verdant hills of singular formation. Limestone is found here, enclosed in a strata of hard blueish building stone.