"SYDENHAM-DAMEREL, or South Sydenham, is a scattered parish, on the eastern side of the Tamar valley, about four to five miles W.N.W. of Tavistock, containing 369 souls, and about 2200 acres of land. The Executors of the late John Carpenter, Esq., are lords of the manor, owners of a great part of the soil, and patrons of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £10. 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £245. The Rev. C.E. Radclyffe, M.A., is the incumbent, and has 162A. of glebe, and a large residence. The tithes have been commuted for £165 per annum. The Church (St. Mary,) is a small fabric, in the perpendicular style, with a handsome tower, containing five bells. . . . H. Rundle, G.C. Bloye, J.S. Lethbridge, J.H. Gill, and Hy. Hoidge, have estates in the parish." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Lifton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter.