"TALATON, or Tallaton, a village on a northern declivity, 3½ miles N.W. of Ottery St. Mary, and 11 miles N.E. of Exeter, has in its parish 462 souls, and about 2250 acres of land, rising to a bold eminence, which overlooks the Otter valley, and including 140A. of waste, and the hamlets of Larkbeare, Escot, Talewater, and Fairmile, and several scattered houses. Sir John Kennaway, Bart., is lord of the manor and owner of a great part of the soil, and has a handsome seat here, called Escot House, built on the site of the old mansion, which was erected about 1688, and was destroyed by fire, on Dec. 28th, 1808, . . . J.P. Mathew, Esq., owns part of the parish, and resides at Ridon House; and Mr. R. Pratt and a few smaller freeholders have estates here. The Church (St. James,) has a tower and five bells, and contains a rich screen, and some memorials of the Eveleigh and other families. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £32. 3s. 1½d., and in 1831 at £581, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. L.P. Welland, who has 62A. 1R. 1P. of glebe, and a rent-charge in lieu of tithes. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Hayridge Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter. Part is now included in the modern parish of Escot (1840).