A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
TALLATON, a parish in the hundred of HAYRIDGE, county of DEVON, 4 miles (N. W. by N.) from St. Mary Ottery, containing 393 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £32. 3. 1., and in the patronage of the Rev. R. P. Welland. The church, dedicated to St. James, has an elegant wooden screen, in good preservation. Four poor children are taught by a schoolmistress, for a trifling annuity left by Elizabeth Prideaux, in 1710. At Escot House, which was destroyed by fire in 1808, George III. and three of the princesses were entertained by Sir G. Young, Bart., August 14th, 1789. Dr. Thomas Sprat, Bishop of Rochester, an historian and poet, was born here, in 1636; he died in 1713. Southcote, in this parish, was the occasional residence of Sir William Pole, the antiquary.