"TAWSTOCK, a parish in the hundred of Fremington, county Devon, 2 miles S. of Barnstaple, its railway station and post town. The village is situated on the river Taw. The manor comes from the Tracies, Audleighs, Fitz-Warren, Bourchiers, to the Wreys. The parish includes the hamlets of Lake, Harracott, St. John's Chapel, and Collibear. The soil is rich and fertile. The living is a rectory 0 with the curacy of Harracott annexed, in the diocese of Exeter, value £783. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, contains monuments to the above-mentioned families. The parochial charities produce about £100 per annum. There is a school for both sexes, also one at Harracott, both of which are entirely supported by the rector. The Roman Catholics and Independents have chapels. The principal residence is Tawstock Court, the seat of Sir B. P. Wrey, Bart., who is lord of the manor. The mansion has been rebuilt, after having been destroyed by fire in 1787, except the ancient gateway, which bears the date 1574."