"TEIGNGRACE is a parish of scattered houses, mostly in the Teign valley, from 1 to 3 miles N.N.W. of Newton Abbot. It contains 180 souls, and 1329A. 3R. 10A. of land, chiefly in pasturage, but including 358A. of wood The railway from Haytor Granite Works, and the Stover Canal . . . unite at Ventiford in this parish. . . . The Duke of Somerset owns about 1200 acres, and is lord of the manor, which he purchased in 1829, of the Templer family, who were formerly seated at Stover House, which was built by James Templer, Esq., in 1776, of Haytor Granite. . . . The manor was anciently held by the Bruer, Grace, Downe, and Holcomb families, and afterwards by the Courtenays, the latter of whom sold it to James Templer, Esq., about 1765. The Church (St. Mary,) was rebuilt in 1787, at the expense of three brothers of the Templer family, and is a small, neat, cruciform structure, with a tower and spire, . . . The rectory, valued in K.B. at £5. 9s. 4½d., and in 1831 at £171, is in the patronage of the Duke of Somerset, and incumbency of the Rev. Jno. Templer, M.A., of Newton Abbot. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Teignbridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter.