"EAST TEIGNMOUTH parish contains 670 acres, and had only 484 inhabitants in 1801, but they had increased to 1576 in 1841. . . . The Earl of Devon is lord of the manor of East Teignmouth . . . which was long held by the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. . . . East Teignmouth Church (St. Michael,) was rebuilt in 1822-3, and is a neat cruciform structure, with a tower containing a clock and a bell. The interior is well arranged, and has a finely carved altar-piece, over which is a painting of Christ, crowned with thorns. The perpetual curacy, valued in K.B. at £11. 18s., and in 1831 at £135, is in the patronage of the Vicar of Dawlish, and incumbency of the Rev. W.P. Richards, B.C.L. There is neither glebe nor parsonage, and the great tithes are in the same appropriation as those of Dawlish, to which East Teignmouth was formerly a parochial chapelry. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Wonford Hundred, under the Peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter, 15 miles S.E. of Exeter.