Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Teignmouth 1823

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

TEIGNMOUTH

From Pigot's Directory, 1823-24

Diana Stevens
Inglewood WA Australia
<diagram[at]iinet.net[dot]au>

A market town in the hundred of Exminster, is situated, as its name implies, at the mouth of the Teign, and is sheltered on all sides by hills, except towards the sea. In the year 800, the Danes first landed on these shores, and ravaged the country; it was again nearly destroyed, in the reign of Queen Anne, by the French, one of the streets is from thence called French-street, in remembrance of the calamity. Since that period, the town has become of far greater importance, and is now one of the most fashionable watering places in the western parts of England. A small brook divides the town into two parishes West and East Teignmouth; the former a manor of Lord Clifford's and the latter of Courtenay. The eastern part of the town is the principal resort of company, where the public rooms are situated, a neat building, containing tea, coffee, assembly, and billiard rooms. A promenade and drive lead from these rooms towards the south, over an extensive flat called the DEN: the view hence up the river is extremely beautiful; the ground gradually rising, on each side, into verdant hills, well cultivated and adorned with wood. Near the centre of West Teignmouth is situated the new church, dedicated to St James, erected on the site of the old, in form an octagon, but in very bad taste. East Teignmouth church, now pulled down for the erection of a new edifice, was probably one of the earliest structures built after the coming of the Normans, and was dedicated to St Michael. The trade of Teignmouth consists chiefly of commercial intercourse with Newfoundland; the exportation of clay and granite, and the importation of coal, is carried on principally in craft, built at the place, where are yards for launching vessels of 3 to 400 tons. The clay and granite is brought from Bovey. This town had formerly a market held on Sunday, but was discontinued in the reign of Henry III; it is now held on Saturday, and is amply supplied with every necessary; its charter is dated in 1253. There are excellent cold, hot and vapour baths: a good theatre is open during the summer months, and balls every fortnight during the season. The fairs are the first Tuesday after Midsummer day, and last Tuesday in September. The population is 3980.

Brian Randell, 28 Feb 1998