"TEMPLETON is a scattered village and parish near the river Dart, 5 miles west-by-north from Tiverton station on the Exe Valley section of the Great Western railway, and 18 north-north-west from Exeter, in the North Eastern division of the county, hundred of Witheridge, petty sessional division of Cullompton, union and county court district of Tiverton, rural deanery of Tiverton West and archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter. The original church of St. Margaret, formerly belonging to the Knights Templars, was built in 1335 in the Decorated style, and rebuilt in the same style in 1876. . . . the tower was restored and the bells re-hung in 1882: there are 100 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1556; marriages and burials, 1578. . . . The land is of a mixed character, arable and pasture. The crops are chiefly oats, barley and wheat. The area is 1,906 acres; rateable value £1,171; the population in 1901 was 175." [From: Kelly's Directory of Devonshire, 1902]
A parish in Witheridge Hundred, under the Peculiar jurisdiction of the Lord of the Manor.