A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
THORVERTON, a parish in the hundred of HAYRIDGE, county of DEVON, 5¾ miles (E. by N.) from Crediton, containing 1317 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £18. 12. 8½., and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is dedicated to St. Thomas à Becket. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians. The parish is bounded on the west by the river Exe. A school for thirty boys and as many girls is supported partly by the produce of various donations invested in land, and partly by voluntary subscriptions. At East Raddon there was formerly a chapel, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, the remains of which have been converted into a dwelling-house, called "No Man's Chapel."