"TORBRIAN (HOLY TRINITY), a parish, in the union of NEWTON-ABBOTT, hundred of HAYTOR, Teignbridge and S. divisions of DEVON, 4 miles (S. W. by S.) from Newton-Bushell; containing 264 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1972 acres, of which 200 are common or waste land; it abounds with limestone of excellent quality. . . The church contains three sepulchral chapels, and has an elegant wooden screen, an enriched pulpit of wood, an ancient font, and a piscina; the porch is ornamented with sculptured angels and in the churchyard is a cross." [From Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of England (1844)]
A parish in Shebbear Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes, and the Diocese of Exeter.
Cooke, R.D. Notes on the Churches and Parishes of Ipplepen and Torbryan. (1963) [Plymouth Library]
Hobbs, S.D. 'To cure the mind's wrong biass, Spleen, some recommend the bowling-green'. In Devon Documents (ed. T. Gray). Tiverton: Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries, Special Issue (1996) [ISBN 0925836203] pp.100-102. [Set in Tor Newton house in Torbryan, and Ipplepen]