The Muniments of the Corporation of Totnes, Part 1.
Trans. Devon. Assoc. vol. 32, (1900), pp. 400-406.
Prepared by Michael Steer
By the 12th century, Totnes was an important market town, due to its position on one of the main roads of the South West, in conjunction with its easy access to its hinterland and the easy navigation of the River Dart. By 1523 it was the second richest town in Devon, and the sixteenth richest in England. In 1553, King Edward VI granted Totnes a charter allowing a former Benedictine priory building to be used as Totnes Guildhall and a school. In 1624, the Guildhall was converted to become a magistrate's court. It was also used as the town prison with the addition of prison cells, and remained a magistrate's court until 1974. Google with the Archive Organization has sponsored the digitisation of books from several libraries. The Internet Archive makes available, in its Community Texts Collection (originally known as Open Source Books), books that have been digitised by Google from a number of libraries. These are books on which copyright has expired, and are available free for educational and research use. This rare book was produced from a copy held by the New York Public Library, and is available from the Internet Archive.
|Albemarle, Christopher Duke of||403|
|Amery, Mr J S||401|
|Edward VI||402, 406|
|Farwell, Mr George||400, 405|
|Greene, Sir George||403|
|Kellock, Thomas Creaser||406|
|Norris, Richard gent||404-5|
|Philip & Mary||401-2|
|Riley, Mr Henry Thomas||400-1, 403-4|
|Seymour, Sir Edward||403-4|
|Southcote, Sir John||403|
|Whiteway, Sir William Knt||406|