"UGBOROUGH is a neat and pleasant village, on the slopes of an eminence, surrounded by higher hills, 2½ miles E. of Ivybridge, and N.N.E. of Modbury, and 1½ mile W. of Kingsbridge Road Station. Its parish contains 1532 souls, and 8659 acres of land, generally fertile, and extending westward to the river Erme. It includes several handsome mansions, and many respectable farm-houses, and the small hamlets of Ludbrooke, Cheston, Nilham, Wrangaton, Fileham, and part of Ivybridge. . . . Sir Walter Palk Carew, Bart., is now lord of [Ugborough] and other manors in this parish, which comprises 200A. of wood, 150A. of orchards, and 2631A. of open common, rising in bold hills to the north. S. Savery, G. Mitchell, W. Widdicombe, J. Lang, J.P. Sawyer, and J.L. Templer, Esqrs., have estates here, and part of the parish belongs to several smaller owners, mostly freeholders. . . . The Church is a large and handsome structure, with a lofty embattled tower, and a richly ornamented stone pulpit. It is in the perpendicular style of the 15th century, . . . The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £20, and in 1831 at £260, is in the patronage of the Grocer's Company, London, and incumbency of the Rev. John May, B.A., who has a good residence, and 70A. of glebe. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Ermington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes, and the Diocese of Exeter. Avonwick, whose church was built in 1878, is split between the parishes of Diptford, South Brent, North Huish and Ugborough. Regarded as part of both the South Hams and the Dartmoor area.
Ivybridge was an ancient village, with a chapel of ease dependent on Cornwood, it was later created as a modern parish incorporating parts of Cornwood, Ermington, Harford and Ugborough.