[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"UPLOWMAN, a parish in the hundred of Tiverton, county Devon, 4½ miles N.E. of Tiverton, its post town. The village is situate on the river Loman, near the Western canal. The parish includes the hamlet of Whitnage. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £601. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. The parochial charities produce about £10 per annum. There is a school for both sexes. The Rev. S. Pidsley, B.A., is lord of the manor."
"WHITNAGE, a tything in the parish of Uplowman and hundred of Tiverton, county Devon, 2 miles N. of Collumpton, and 4 N.E. of Tiverton."Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003