"UPOTTERY, or Up-Ottery, is a pleasant village, in the picturesque valley of the river Otter, a few miles from its source, and 5 miles N.E. by N. of Honiton, Its parish contains 991 souls, and 5830A. 3R. 23P. of land, including the Rawridge tithing, and many scattered farms, and extending to the borders of Somersetshire. Here is a cattle fair on October 17th, and an annual ploughing match. Viscount Sidmouth is lord of the manor and owner of a great part of the parish, and resides at the large new Manor House, which has been lately erected at great expense. . . . The manor was given by the Conqueror to Ralph de Pomeroy, and was afterwards given to the church of Rouen, from which it passed to Sir Nicholas Cheyney, in the reign of Henry III. It afterwards passed to the Willoughby, Blount, and Popham families, and was purchased of the latter by Dr. Addington, father of the late Viscount Sidmouth. The CHURCH (St. Mary,) is a fine antique structure, with a tower and five bells. . . . The Dean and Chapter of Exeter are patrons of the vicarage, . . . The Rev. George Lowe, M.A. is the vicar, and in 1843'-4, erected a new Vicarage House, in Elizabethan style, at the cost of about £1600. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Axminster Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.
Franks, Ann. Upottery Triplets, Devon Family Historian, vol. 162, (2017) p.13. [Children of John Dimond, bap. 1832]
MIs for this parish are included in the Incledon index - see under Cemeteries on the main Devon page.
Andress, W.T. The history of Newhouse Upottery: the sanctuary the forefathers walked 21 miles to worship in. Upottery: W.T.Andress (1932) 24p, plates: ill. [Westcountry Studies - px286/UPO/AND] [Lookups]
Leates, M. A Guide to the Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, Upottery, (n.d.). [S0G Library - DE Tracts]
Orme, Nicholas. Rawridge Chapel, Upottery. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 35:09, (1986) pp.327-331. [Includes list of chaplains., 1190-1548]
Parish Registers going back to 1559 are held in the Devon Record Office.
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1559 are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1559-1837, and Marriages 1576-1678, 1702-1837.
Upottery Parish Register transcriptions, covering the years 1702 to 1902, by Roy Parkhouse.
The Deanery of Dunkeswell, CD012, Devon Family History Society, Exeter (2007). [Contains indexes: Awliscombe - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837; Churchstanton - Baptisms 1813-1837, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1839; Clayhidon - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837; Combe Raleigh - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837; Dunkeswell - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1800-1837; Hemyock - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1635-1837, Burials 1813-1837; Luppitt - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1838, Burials 1813-1837; Sheldon - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1755-1836, Burials 1770-1837; Upottery - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837; Yarcombe - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837.]
Section on Upottery from Samuel Lewis: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831), provided by Mel Lockie.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Upottery to another place.
Cresswell, Beatrix F. Willoughby de Broke and Cheyney. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 14:8, (1927) pp.358-361, plates: ill. [Refers to 14, pp.291, 293. See also 14, p.362; 15, p.21.] [de Broke Family]
M., R.B. Cheney family. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 14:8, (1927) pp.358. [Refers to vol.14, p.291. See also 14, pp.358-361; vol.15, p.59.]
You can see the administrative areas in which Upottery has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Transcription of a Terrier of the vicarage of Uppottery, dated 1745 and found in the Parish Registers, by Roy Parkhouse.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST202075 (Lat/Lon: 50.861481, -3.135223), Upottery which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Upottery War Memorial, transcribed by John Williams
Upottery contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.