Hide

hide
Hide

UPTON PYNE

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]

"UPTON PYNE, a parish in the hundred of Wonford, county Devon, 3½ miles N.W. of Exeter, its post town. It is a station on the Great Western railway. The village is situated on the river Exe and the Thorwerton road. There are leather mills, and manganese, ironstone, and basalt are, found. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £482. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, contains two memorial windows of Sir J. Northcote and his eldest son, an altar-piece representing the Last Supper, and monument of a crusader. The parochial charities produce about £7 per annum. There are a National school for both sexes and a Sunday-school. The Pynes is the principal residence. Sir J. Northcote is lord of the manor. A fair occurs on a revel in September every year."

Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003