Some Old Devon Churches
By J. Stabb
London: Simpkin et al (1908-16)
Transcribed and edited by Dr Roger Peters
Full text available at
Prepared by Michael Steer
Between 1908 and 1916, John Stabb, an ecclesiologist and photographer who lived in Torquay, published three volumes of Some Old Devon Churches and one of Devon Church Antiquities. A projected second volume of the latter, regarded by Stabb himself as a complement to the former, did not materialize because of his untimely death on August 2nd 1917, aged 52. Collectively, Stabb's four volumes present descriptions of 261 Devon churches and their antiquities.
Upton Pyne, p. 245
UPTON PYNE. Our Lady. The church consists of chancel with priest's door, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, and west tower with six bells. It is a very fine tower [plate 245a] over the west door is a figure of Christ in benediction, on the south side one of King David, and at the angles of the summit those of the Evangelists. The north aisle is separated from the nave by three arches, and the south by three large arches and one smaller in size, beneath which now stands the pulpit. The capitals of the pillars are carved, that at the east end of the south aisle having angels holding shields with coats of arms. There is a piscina with drain on the south side of the chancel. The east wall is panelled with modern carved oak with the emblems of the Passion; the centre panel of the carved oak reredos has a painting on canvas of the Last Supper, at the sides are carved figures of the four Evangelists. The reredos is "In Memoriam Stafford Henry, Earl of Iddesleigh, C.A.B., 1887."
On the wall east of the priest's door is a tablet with coat of arms and the inscription:- To the Memory of
Melior Hooper youngest
Daughter of Edward Pyne
of East Downe; Esq: & Relict
of Nicholas Hooper of
Fullbrook, in Braunton, Gent,
She departed this life Dec 19th
An Dom 1703 an ætatis 74.
In the north wall is a window corresponding with another on the south, but the glass has been removed, as the window now looks into the north aisle. On the wall west of the priest's door is another tablet with coat of arms, and the inscription:- In memory of
James Gay Rector of this Parish
Son of John Gay of Frithelstock
in this County, Esq. who died ye 1st
of June in ye year of our Lord 1720
in ye 65th year of His age; & left
behind Him Elizabeth His wife
Daughter of Nicholas Hooper of
Fullbrook, in Braunton, Gent &
Melior His wife.
On the south wall is a tablet with the inscription:- Hilda Cardew Northcote
1863 - 1908
Frederic W. Farrar
Dean of Canterbury
"A heart at leisure from itself
To soothe and sympathise!"
On the south side of the arch near the organ is a tablet with the inscription:- To the Glory of God
+ A.D. 1874
This organ isle is built
and Chancel restored
in memory of Mary
3rd Countess of Chichester
& George Carr Glyn
1st Baron Wolverton
by their children
Francis G & Alice. C. Pelham.
The east window in the north aisle was erected in memory of Henry Stafford Northcote, Esq., of Pynes, born March 18th 1792, died February 22nd 1850. On the north side of the chancel is a tablet in memory of Katherine Cecilia Rachel Northcote, the beloved child of Walter Stafford, 2nd Earl of Iddesleigh, and Elizabeth Lucy his wife, born February 23rd 1789, died October 21st 1893.
The north-east window in the north aisle is in memory of Sir Stafford Henry Northcote, Bart., of Pynes, born October 6th 1762, died March 17th 1851. The north-west window in the same aisle is in memory of Stafford Henry, 1st Earl of Iddesleigh, and is a tribute of affectionate respect from the parishioners of Upton Pyne and many friends in Exeter and Devon, born October 27th 1818, died January 12th 1887.
At the east end of the south aisle is a slab supporting a picture of the Annunciation. The inscription states:- "This slab and picture were erected on the site of an ancient altar", and on a brass plate beneath are the words:- In memory of Alice Caroline Northcote who died May 28th 1878, and was buried in Woking Cemetery; and of Mary Arabella Northcote who died May 7th 1888 and was buried in this churchyard. There is a piscina in the south wall close to this slab.
There is some good old glass in the window of this aisle representing the Agony in the Garden, the Crucifixion, and our Lord falling beneath the Cross. Beneath the window, under two arches are two old tombs, one with a recumbent figure [plate 245b], one without. The figure is a male arrayed in plate armour, the head with long curly hair, rests on a tilting helmet, the shield bears arms. The hands are clasped in prayer, the feet rest on a dog. There are five shields on the front of the tomb, three with arms and two blank. There was an inscription over the tomb, all that is now decipherable is:- Orate . p . Aia . Edmdi . It is supposed to be the monument of Edmund Larder, a former owner of Pynes, he died somewhere about 1520. The other tomb is that of later members of the same family; Humphrey Larder 1588, and Margaret his wife 1604. On the wall over the tombs is a tablet with the inscription:- In hopes of a Blessed Resurrection
here are deposited ye sacred remains
of Lucie Stafford eldest daughter
of Sr William Courtenay of Powderham
Bart & second wife of Hugh Stafford
of Pynes Esq: who died the 10th day of
September 1693 in ye 44th of her age
And of Lucie Stafford their eldest
daughter who died ye year 1675
in the 3rd year of her age
And also of Dame Amie Slanning
Relict of Sr Nicholas Slanning of
Marstow knight of the Bath & Barot
third wife of Sir Hugh Stafford
who died the 22nd of . . . 1692
in the 49th year of her age.
The south-west window in this aisle is in memory of the Rev. Charles Stafford Northcote and his wife, it was erected by their daughter, Selina, in 1892. There is a lychgate and the remains of the old cross in the churchyard.
The registers date: baptisms, 1673; marriages, 1688; burials, 1688.