From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850
Transcribed by Neil Stanton
VIRGINSTOWE, a small village, pleasantly situated in the valley of the Carey rivulet, 6½ miles N. by E. of Launceston, has in its parish 167 souls, and 1274A. 2R. 39P. of land. H. Hawkes, Esq. owns part of the soil, and the rest belongs to several smaller owners. The Church (St. Bridget) is a small ancient dilapidated structure, which is about to give place to a new one, to be erected in the early lancet style, at the cost of about £500. The new church will have a bell gable, and 137 sittings, of which 83 will be free. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £5. 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £103, is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. Ponsford Cann, B.A., who built the handsome Rectory House in 1845, supports the schools, and is a liberal contributor to the new church, to which Mrs. Morrison, of Yeo Dale, has presented a valuable silver-gilt service of communion plate. The glebe is 56A. 11P., and the tithes have been commuted for £119 per annum.
Cann Rev Ponsford, B.A. rector, and incumbent of Broadwoodwidger, Rectory
Berribell Samuel, shoemaker
Rockey John, shopkeeper
Rowland Humphrey, smith and vict. Hare and Hounds
Brian Randell, 3 Sep 2003