A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
WALKHAMPTON, a parish in the hundred of ROBOROUGH, county of DEVON, 4½ miles (S. E. by E.) from Tavistock, containing 670 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £9.14. 7., and in the patronage of Sir M. M. Lopes, Bart. The church is situated on the verge of Dartmoor Forest, The Plymouth railway passes through the parish. Lady Modyford, in 1719, gave a school-house, with the rents and profits of certain premises, now producing about £161 a year, for the education of poor children; about fifty are instructed.