From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850
WARKLEIGH, or Warkley, 5 miles S.W. by W. of South Molton, is a scattered
village and parish, containing 291 souls, and 2414 acres of fertile land,
rising boldly from the Taw and Mole valleys, on the east and west. The
heirs of the late Lord Rolle own most of the soil, and are lords of the
manor, which was anciently held by the Raleigh family, and afterwards by
the Martins, Audleys, and Bourchiers. J. Gould, Esq., the Rev. P.T.
Johnson, and several smaller owners, have estates in the parish. The Church
(St. John,) is a handsome structure, with a tower and three bells. It has
several neat mural tablets, but only part of its richly-carved screen
remains. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £14. 4s. 7d., and in 1831 at £215,
is in the patronage of Jas. Gould, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Wm.
Thorold, who has 27A. 1R. 12P. of glebe, and a good residence in the
Elizabethan style, built in 1844. At Deason is a small school, erected in
1846 by Mr. John Stevens, and supported by subscription, and the interest
of £37, left by several donors.
Beer Sar. & Manning Ann, schools
Beer Wm. butcher and parish clerk
Burgess Thos. gent. Warkleigh Cotg
Heywood John, shopkeeper
Manning James, wheelwright
Marshall Thomas, tailor
Phillips Wm. vict., Hotel
Symons John and Geo. blacksmiths
Thorold Rev Wm. rector of Warkleigh and Satterleigh, Rectory
Warren Thos. plough mkr. & butcher
Beer John, Shortridge
Bradford Wm., Preston House
Chapple Geo. || Darch John
Cole Philip || Cole Richard
Greenslade Wm. || Heathfield Wm.
Huxtable Roger || Milford Thos.
Mills Wm., Hill-Town
Mortimer John, Warkleigh Barton
Passmore John || Staddon Samuel
Stevens John || Warren John