"WASHFIELD, a scattered village, picturesquely situated near one of the sources of the river Exe, two miles N.W. of Tiverton, has in its parish 503 souls, and 3235 acres of land, forming a detached member of West Budleigh Hundred. Jno. F. Worth, Esq., owns a great part of the soil, and is lord of the manor. He has a pleasant seat here, called Worth House, where his family has been settled since the thirteenth century. Messrs. J. and R. Melhuish, Thos. Daniel, W. Talley, and a few small owners have estates here. The Church (St. Mary,) is a Gothic structure, with a large tower and five bells. In the chancel are several neat mural monuments. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £19. 17s. 6d.,and in 1831 at £409, is in the patronage of J.F. Worth, and incumbency of the Rev. John Pitman, B.C.L., of Broadhempston. The glebe is 26A., and the Rectory House, occupied by the curate, is a good residence, with tasteful grounds. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in West Budleigh Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter, 2½ miles N.W. of Tiverton, which had 453 inhabitants in 1831.