From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850
WEAR GIFFORD, a pleasant village and parish, on the eastern side of the river Torridge, 3 miles N.W. of Great Torrington, contains 576 inhabitants, and 1587 acres of land, including the hamlet of Clifft, and a number of scattered farms. The river is navigable to this village for small craft, and by means of a canal, barges, &c., go up as high as Torrington. A large earthenware manufactory has lately been established here; and in the parish is a small woollen factory. The manor of Weare was held by the Giffords at an early period, and afterwards passed to the Fortescues, who were seated here for several generations, in an ancient mansion, now occupied by a farmer, and containing a profusion of richly carved old wainscot, said to have been brought from various parts of the kingdom. Earl Fortescue is now lord of the manor, but part of the parish belongs to the Trustees of the late Lord Rolle, and a few smaller owners. The Church (Holy Trinity,) is a plain structure, containing monuments of the Fortescue, Rolle, and other families. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £13. 5s., and in 1831 at £180, is in the patronage of Earl Fortescue, and incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Fortescue, of George Nympton. The parsonage is a small building and the glebe is 17 acres. The Wesleyans have a small chapel here. In 1671, John Lovering left £100 for the endowment of a Free School for 16 children of this parish; £50 for the poor of this parish; £40 for the poor of Great Torrington; and £10 for the poor of Huntshaw. These legacies were laid out in the purchase of 8A. 11P. of land at Barnstaple, now let for about £30 a year, half of which belongs to the school, and one-fourth to the poor of Wear Gifford.
Bate John, butcher
Braginton Geo. lime merchant, &c.
Chapple Wm. schoolmaster
Edgworth Mr Thos. || Lamerton Mrs
Fry Susan, corn miller
Mitchell Rev Henry, M.A.
Palmer Rev Chas. E. curate, Rectory
Saunders Sarah, shopkeeper
Short Wm. tailor
Turton John, woollen manufacturer
Warman Jph. vict. Fortescue Arms
Watts Thos. || West Miss
Wear Gifford Pottery Co. earthenware manufacturers
BOOT & SHOE MKS.