[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"WEMBURY, a parish in the hundred of Plympton, county Devon, 6 miles S.E. of Plymouth, and 5 S.W. of Plympton-Earls. It is bounded on the S. and W. by the English Channel, and on the E. by the river Yealm. It anciently belonged to Plympton Priory, and includes the hamlet of Knighton. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Exeter, value £90, in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church, dedicated to St. Werburgh, is situated on the brow of a hill overlooking the sea. It contains tombs of the Heles and Calmadys of Langdon. There is an almshouse for 10 poor people, founded and endowed in 1625 by Sir W. Hele, and a village school. E. R. P. Bastard, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"KNIGHTON, a hamlet in the parish of Wembury, county Devon, 4 miles S.E. of Plymouth. It is situated on the coast, at the mouth of the river Yealm."Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003