A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
WEMBURY, a parish in the hundred of PLYMPTON, county of DEVON, 5¼ miles (S. by W.) from Earl's Plympton, containing 564 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese of Exeter, endowed with £200 royal bounty, and £1400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The chapel is dedicated to St. Werburgh. The parish is bounded on the west and south by the English channel, and on the east by the river Yealm. Here is an almshouse for ten poor people, founded and endowed, in 1625, by Sir Warwick Hele.