"ALVINGTON, WEST (ALL SAINTS), a parish, in the union of KINGSBRIDGE, hundred of STANBOROUGH, Stanborough and Coleridge, and S. divisions of DEVON, 1 mile (W. S. W.) from Kingsbridge; containing 998 inhabitants. It comprises 3676 acres; the surtace is very hilly, and the soil chiefly arable, and a large quantity of peculiarly fine cider is made. . . . The church contains some good screen-work in carved oak, an ancient stone font, and a beautiful monument to some member of the Bastard family, whose ancient seat has been converted into a farm-house. " [From Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of England (1844)]
A parish in Stanborough Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes, and the Diocese of Exeter. Regarded as part of the South Hams area.
MIs for this parish are included in the Devon FHS index - see under Cemeteries on the main Devon page.
Square, J. Harris. Epitaphs from Churches, Churchyards and Burial Places in the Following Parishes: Kingsbridge, South Milton, East Allington, Dodbrooke, Malborough, Blackawton, West Alvington, Sherford, Charleton, Thurlestone, Churchstow, East Portlemouth. Devonshire Association Trans. 29 (1897) pp.182-215. [Index]
Transcription of the Malborough village section of the 1841 census for the parish, from the Parishes of the South Hams website.
Granville, Roger & Mugford, W.E. (eds.) West Alvington, 1628. Abstracts of the Existing Transcripts of the Lost Parish-Registers of Devon, 1596-1644, and short notes on the extant pre-reformation registers of all the parishes in the county, from particulars furnished by the several incumbents thereof. Vol. 1 A-Bra. Exeter: W. Pollard (1908) [Full text].