[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"WEST ALVINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Stanborough, in the county of Devon, 1 mile to the S.W. of Kingsbridge. It was formerly a market town. It comprises the chapelry of Salcombe, situated on Salcombe Creek, a small portion of Marlborough, and several hamlets The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter, value £888, with the perpetual curacies of South Huish, Marlborough, and South Milton, which are annexed to it. It is in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient building with embattled tower, surmounted by four ornamental pinnacles. It contains some monuments of the Bastards, who formerly owned the manor. There is also a district church at Salcombe, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £200, in the patronage of the vicar; and a small chapel adjoining the parish of Kingsbridge, now used by the Calvinists. There is a small endowed free school. Alvington is celebrated for its cider, which is of very fine quality. This place is a meet for the Marlborough harriers. Bouring's Leigh is a very ancient mansion, in the Tudor style, now occupied as a farm-house. The modern mansion is Combe Royal, which has extensive pleasure grounds.
"BAWCOMBE, a hamlet in the parish of West Alvington, hundred of Stanborough, in the county of Devon, 6 miles from Modbury."
"EASTON, a hamlet in the parish of West Alvington, county Devon, near Kingsbridge."
"SORLEY, a hamlet in the parish of West Alvington, county Devon, near Kingsbridge."
"WOOLSTONE, a hamlet in the parish of West Alvington, county Devon, 2 miles S.W. of Kingsbridge, near Salcombe creek."Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003