Some Old Devon Churches
By J. Stabb
London: Simpkin et al (1908-16)
Transcribed and edited by Dr Roger Peters
Full text available at
Between 1908 and 1916, John Stabb, an ecclesiologist and photographer who lived in Torquay, published three volumes of Some Old Devon Churches and one of Devon Church Antiquities. A projected second volume of the latter, regarded by Stabb himself as a complement to the former, did not materialize because of his untimely death on August 2nd 1917, aged 52. Collectively, Stabb's four volumes present descriptions of 261 Devon churches and their antiquities.
WEST ALVINGTON. All Saints. The church [plate 250] is Early Perpendicular and consists of chancel, with some remains of earlier work, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, and embattled west tower containing six bells.
The rood screen was standing complete in 1869, with the unusual feature of the pulpit being placed on the loft. The Bishop of Marlborough [1827-1918], when vicar of the parish, had the screen removed, and all that is now left is the south parclose and some remains of the old screen in the north and south aisles. The character of the parclose screen is rather unusual, the tracery containing small flamboyant wheels.
The registers date from 1558.