A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
ANSTEY (WEST), a parish in the hundred of SOUTH-MOLTON, county of DEVON, 3½ miles (W.) from Dulverton, containing 220 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Barnstap1.e, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £10. 16. 8., and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is dedicated to St. Petrock. Here is an unendowed almshouse for the reception of the aged and-infirm poor.