A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
BUCKLAND (WEST), a parish in the hundred of BRAUNTON, though locally in the hundred of South Molton, county of DEVON, 5¾ miles (N. W.) from South Molton, containing 288 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £13. 13. 4., and in the patronage of Lord de Dunstanville. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has a carved wooden screen, highly enriched, separating the nave from the chancel.