West Buckland 1850
WEST BUCKLAND From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850BUCKLAND, (WEST) is a small parish and village, 6 miles N.W. by N. of SouthMolton, comprising 275 souls, and about 1700A. of land. Jas. George, Esq., islord of the manor, but a great part of the soil belongs to Earl Fortescue and theRev. J. Buckingham. The Church (St. Peter,) has a tower and five bells, and theliving is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £13. 3s. 4d., and in 1831 at £220, in thepatronage of Lord de Dunstanville, and incumbency of the Rev. Walter Gee, B.D.,of St. Mary Week, Cornwall. The glebe is 30A., and the parsonage is a goodresidence.Chapple Geo. draper & vict. New InnClatworthy John, blacksmith Fairchild George, grocer, &cPugsley Humphrey, shopkeeper Ridge Wm. beersellerWalker Rev Charles Harry, M.A., curate, Rectory FARMERS.Buckingham John, GabbsGerman Nichs. || Rendle RobertLand John || Miller Wm.Nott Wm. || Quartly NicholasPartridge James, Studley SouthThorne George || Vickery Chpr.
Brian Randell, 26 Aug 1999