"DOWN, (WEST) a pleasant village, on a bold acclivity, near a rivulet, 6 miles N.N.W. of Barnstaple, has in its parish 637 souls, and 4059 acres of land, including the small hamlets of Willincott, Dean, and Trimstone. Anthony Loveland, Esq., is lord of the manor of Bradwell; and Dr. Yeo is lord of that of Stowford, which was the seat of Bishop Stowford, who built Pilton bridge. The Langdon, Parminter, Griffiths, Coats, and other families have estates here. The Church (Holy Trinity,) is an ancient fabric, and the living is a vicarage, valued in K.B. at £8. 14s. 9d., and in 1831 at £211, in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter, and the incumbency of the Rev. H.J. Drury. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Braunton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.