A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
DOWN (WEST), a parish in the hundred of
BRAUNTON, county of DEVON, 4 miles (S.) from
Ilfracombe, containing 562 inhabitants. The living is a
discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Barnstaple,
and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at
£8.14. 9., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter.
The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, contains a
monument to the memory of Sir J. Stowford, a justice
of the common pleas in 1343, for the welfare of whose
soul the prior of Wells founded a chantry, and endowed
it with a stipend for the maintenance of a priest.