"OGWELL (WEST) is a small parish adjoining East Ogwell, about two miles S.W. of Newton-Abbot. It has only 51 souls, and about 1000 acres of land, generally fertile, and finely undulated. At Domesday Survey the manor was held by Wm. Pictavensis, or Peytevin. It was sold by one of the Earls of Devon to the Reynell family, and is now the property of General Thos. Wm. Taylor, C.B., who is Lieut.- Governor of the Military College at Sandhurst, and has a handsome seat here, called OGWELL HOUSE, pleasantly situated in a small deer park, finely clothed with wood, and now occupied by H.C.B. Barton, Esq., and Mrs. Barton. The Church is a small plastered fabric, with a tower and three bells, and contains several neat monuments." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Wonford Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.
Tim Treeby is doing a one place study of Ogwell (East and West), and is willing to do look-ups on his collection of digital copies of PR's, Photos, Sale Catalogues, Maps, School Registers, Censuses, Electoral Registers and Newspaper Articles, etc.
This parish is one of the growing number of places for which the Devon Heritage website provides census or parish register transcriptions, articles, and/or illustrations, etc.
Gibson, Barbara. The Story of West Ogwell House (c1970) 25p. [Very limited stocks: available while they last from the Convent of St John the Baptist, Hatch Lane, Windsor, Berks SL4 3QR] [Includes details of the Taylor and Reynell families.]