"PUTFORD, (WEST) in the Torridge valley, 8½ miles N. of Holsworthy, is a village and parish, containing 490 souls, and 2620 acres of land, including the small hamlets of Colscot, Thriverden, and Westfield. Wm. May, Esq., is lord of the manor, but a great part of the soil belongs to the Trustees of the late Lord Rolle, the Rev. P. Thomas, Archdeacon Stevens, and a few smaller owners. The Church is a fine cruciform structure, in the perpendicular style, with a tower at the west end, containing three bells. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £9. 11s. 0 ½d., and in 1831 at £204, is in the patronage of Wm. May, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. J.L. May, B.A., who has 89A. of glebe, and a good residence, recently erected. . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Black Torrington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes, and the Diocese of Exeter.
Grylls, Richard G. The Making of a Missionary: The early life of Thomas Grills Vanstone, Devon Family Historian, vol. 115, (2005) pp.8-13.
Lambert, J.W. The Bodley Head, 1887-1987. London: Bodley Head (1988) vii, 365p: ill. [ISBN 0370309499] [Biog. of John Lane]
MIs for this parish are included in the Devon FHS and Incledon indexes - see under Cemeteries on the main Devon page.
Aldridge, Nicola. Monumental Inscriptions: St Stephen's Churchyard, West Putford, (2003). [DFHS Library 929.5/PUT, SoG Library DE/M 11]
Transcription of the 1841 census, by Nicola Aldridge.
Snetzler, M.F. North Devon Surname Index to the Census. Microfiche: M.F. Snetzler. [Covers 1841, 1861, 1871 and 1881 census records for this parish]
Parish Registers going back to 1717 are held in the Devon Record Office.
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1668, and of the Bishops' Transcripts going back to 1614, are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1754-1837 - for details see their book list.
Among the records for this parish provided by Devon Heritage are transcripts of Burials for 1837-1851, 1870-1891.
Other churches and chapels (with pre-1840 records):
- Wesleyan Chapel: Registers for c1813-37 - see Holsworthy (PRO RG 4/1210)
Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1614-1681, Marriages 1614-1629, 1664-1683, 1696-1811.
An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Abbots Bickington, Ashwater, Black Torrington, Bradford, Bradworthy, Bridgerule, Clawton, Cookbury, Halwill, Hollacombe, Holsworthy, Luffincott, Milton Damerel, Pancrasweek, Pyworthy, Sutcombe, Tetcott, Thornbury, West Putford and Holsworthy Weslyan Burials. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Directory (1850), Kelly's Directory of Devonshire (1902) and A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis (1831), CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2014). [Abbots Bickington Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1770-1833 Bur: 1813-1837; Ashwater Bapt: 1813-1841 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Black Torrington Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Bradford Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1705-1837; Bradworthy Bapt: 1813-1838 Mar: 1755-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Bridgerule Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1755-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Clawton Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1800-1837; Cookbury Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1756-1837 Bur: 1813-1841; Halwill Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1843; Hollacombe Bapt: 1813-1898 Mar: 1757-1837 Bur: 1813-1852; Holsworthy Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1860 Bur: 1813-1837; Holsworthy Weslyan Bapt: 1812-1831; Luffincott Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1756-1837 Bur: 1814-1840; Milton Damerel Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1761-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Pancrasweek Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1756-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Pyworthy Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1755-1837 Bur: 1813-1838; Sutcombe Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1800-1837; Tetcott Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1755-1836 Bur: 1813-1837; Thornbury Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1756-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; West Putford Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1838.]
Section on West Putford from Samuel Lewis: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831), provided by Mel Lockie.
Transcription provided by Val Henderson of the entry (description and names) in Morris and Co's Commercial Directory and Gazetteer of Devonshire 1870.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from West Putford to another place.
This parish is one of the growing number of places for which the Devon Heritage website provides census or parish register transcriptions, articles, and/or illustrations, etc.
Horter, Sally. A Cautionary Tale of Two Grandmothers one in Devon and one in Cornwall, Devon Family Historian, vol. 154, (2015) pp.27-28. [Susan Johns, b. 1845]
You can see the administrative areas in which West Putford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Walther, W.G. "The Good Old Days"; at Cory Barton, west Putford, North Devon. Devon Family Historian, No. 84 (Nov. 1987) pp. 29- 31.
Williams, H. Fulford. Notes on the parish of West Putford, Devon. Typescript (1963) 8p. [Westcountry Studies Library - B/WES 5/0001/WIL]
Garvice, Charles. A farm in Creamland; a book of the Devon contryside, New York, Hodder (1903) 392 pp.
Covy Manor, near Holsworthy, Devon. Underwood Warmington  11p: col ill, map. [Westcountry Studies Library - p333.322/WES/UND]
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS358157 (Lat/Lon: 50.917339, -4.337332), West Putford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
West Putford contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.