Hide
hide
Hide

WEST WORLINGTON

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]

"WEST WORLINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Witheridge, county Devon, 7 miles E. of Chulmleigh, and 6 N.E. of Lapford railway station. It is situated on the Lesser Dart, and adjoins the village of East Worlington. Within this parish are the ruins of an old house, called Affton Barton, formerly the residence of the Affton and Stukely families, but now converted into a farmhouse. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £160, and 84 acres of glebe. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. L. W. Buck, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner.

Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003