"LEIGH, (WEST) a village and parish, on the east side of the estuary of the Torridge, 2 miles N. by E. of Bideford, has 526 inhabitants, and 2456 acres of land, including East Leigh and Southcott hamlets, and many scattered houses. Mrs. Torr, of Torville, is lady of the manor of West Leigh, and owner of the Barton of East Leigh. Tapley, or Taplegh, a handsome mansion, with tasteful grounds, is the seat of Mrs. Clevland, and belongs to her son, Archibald Clevland, a minor. L.W. Buck, Esq., and several smaller owners, have estates in the parish. The Church (St. Peter,) is an ancient structure, and the living is a vicarage, valued in K.B. at £8. 2s. 1d., and in 1831 at £170, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The Rev. D. Lang, B.A., is the incumbent, and has a neat residence, erected in 1837, and 45A. of glebe. The Wesleyans have a chapel here, built in 1841. . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Fremington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple and the Diocese of Exeter.