Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Whimple - from Some Old Devon Churches (J. Stabb)

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.



Some Old Devon Churches

By J. Stabb

London: Simpkin et al (1908-16)

Page 251

Transcribed and edited by Dr Roger Peters

Full text available at

Prepared by Michael Steer

Between 1908 and 1916, John Stabb, an ecclesiologist and photographer who lived in Torquay, published three volumes of Some Old Devon Churches and one of Devon Church Antiquities. A projected second volume of the latter, regarded by Stabb himself as a complement to the former, did not materialize because of his untimely death on August 2nd 1917, aged 52. Collectively, Stabb's four volumes present descriptions of 261 Devon churches and their antiquities.

WHIMPLE. St. Mary. The church, which consists of chancel, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, and west tower with six bells, does not call for much remark, as, with the exception of the tower, it was rebuilt in 1845.

Though the building is not of much interest, it contains, preserved in the tower, a small portion of the ancient rood screen, consisting of 8 of the painted panels on which are the following saints:- (1) a king crowned, with orb and sceptre, with a white hart chained at his feet, Henry VI [r. 1422-61 & 1470-71]; (2) female saint with scythe in right hand, head in left, St. Sidwell; (3) pilgrim with staff and wallet attended by a dog, sword on thigh, St. Roch; (4) saint holding tower in right hand and crucifix in left, St. Barbara; (5) saint bound and pierced by 17 arrows, St. Sebastian; (6) saint in bishop's dress holding an anchor, St. Clement; (7) saint carrying a lamb, St. John the Baptist; (8) female saint with pincers in her hand grasping a tooth, St. Apollonia. In the description, hung up in the church, No. 4 is given as St. Philip, and No. 7 as St. Agnes, but the tower is the emblem of St. Barbara, and No. 7 is certainly a male figure, as traces can be seen of a beard.

The registers date from 1653.