"WHITSTONE, or Whitestone, a scattered village, 3½ miles W.N.W. of Exeter, has in its parish 670 inhabitants, and 4046 acres of land, picturesquely broken into hill and dale. One of the hills commands extensive views, in which Exmouth, Honiton, and other distant places may be seen. The manor was anciently held by the Beaumont, Powderham, and Bohun families. . . . The Church (St. Catherine,) stands on a commanding eminence, and is an ancient structure, with a tower and four bells." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Wonford Hundred, the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.
MIs for this parish are included in the Devon FHS index - see under Cemeteries on the main Devon page.
Parish Registers going back to 1594 are held in the Devon Record Office.
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1594 are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
Other churches and chapels (with pre-1840 records):
- Wesleyan Chapel: Registers for c1818-37 - see Exeter Mint (PRO RG 4/1207)
Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1594-1837, and Marriages 1594-1837.
Sellman, R.R. Whitestone: Notes from the parish records and other sources. Photocopy of transcript (1978) 300p. [Westcountry Studies Library - f929.3/WHI/1594] [Parish registers. 1594- 1913]
Whitestone Baptisms 1693-98 (photocopy) [SoG Library Box 16/Folder6]
Allegation for marriage by licence of William Mallet and Sarah Lee (1797), provided by Mike Mallett.
The Deanery of Dunsford: An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Ashton, Bridford, Chagford, Cheriton Bishop, Christow, Doddiscombsleigh, Drewsteignton, Dunsford, Gidleigh, Hittisleigh, Holcombe Burnell, South Tawton, Spreyton, Tedburn St. Mary, Throwleigh and Whitestone. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850. CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2009). [Ashton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1740-1837; Bridford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Chagford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Cheriton Bishop Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1841, Bur: 1813-1837; Christow Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1757-1844, Bur: 1813-1837; Doddiscombsleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1836, Bur: 1780-1837; Drewsteignton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Dunsford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Gidleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1748-1812 (BT's), Mar: 1814-1837, Bur: 1813-1884; Hittisleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1839; Holcombe Burnell Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1753-1837; South Tawton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Spreyton Bapt: 1803-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Tedburn St. Mary Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Throwleigh Bapt: 1813-1841, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Whitestone Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837.]
Section on Whitestone from Samuel Lewis: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831), provided by Mel Lockie.
Transcript of entry in White's Devonshire Directory of 1850.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Whitestone to another place.
Aldam, Angela. The Baker Family of Whitestone and Exeter St Thomas, Devon and their Descendants, (1997). [Devon FHS Library 929.2/BAK]
Williams, H. Fulford. Arms in St. Catherine's Church, Whitestone, nr. Exeter. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 28 (1959-61) pp.233-236.
You can see the administrative areas in which Whitestone has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Braddick, L.E. Whitstone and Oldridge. Trans. Devon. Assoc.; 94 (1962) pp.339-362, plates: ill, map.
Brown, Charles. Whitstone memoranda, transcribed from the original manuscripts of the Revd. Charles Brown, rector 1813, 1856. Typescript [1920?] 138p. [Westcountry Studies Library sB/WHI 7/0001/BRO]
Williams, H. Fulford. Notes on the parish of Whitstone, Devon. Typescript (1961) 16p. [Westcountry Studies Library - sB/WHI 7/0001/WIL]
Steele, Veronica. Homes and gardens - Trillow, Nadderwater, Exeter. Devon Life vol. 2 no. 23, (1966) p.24; ill.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX868943 (Lat/Lon: 50.737246, -3.60555), Whitestone which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Whitestone contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.
Whitestone Apprentices Register - 1803-1839, Exeter, Devon Family History Society, (Booklet & PDF A475). [Foreword]