[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"WHITESTONE, a parish in the hundred of Wonford, county Devon, 3 miles N.W. of Exeter, and 6 S.E. of Crediton. It is situated on the main road from Exeter to Launceston, near the banks of the river Exe, on an eminence of 700 feet, overlooking the river. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £616, and 76 acres of land. The church is dedicated to St. Katherine. There is a mixed school partially endowed by John Splatt. The parochial charities produce about £35 per annum, of which £30 belongs to the school and almshouses. The freeholders are lords of the manor. The parish contains the hamlet of Sherwood. "