A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
WHITSTONE, a parish in the hundred of WONFORD, county of DEVON, 3¾ miles (W. N. W.) from Exeter, containing 585 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter; rated in the king's books at £19. 3. 4., and in the patronage of Thomas Brown, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Catherine. John Splatt, in 1753, bequeathed £20 per annum for teaching the poor children of the parish. He also founded almshouses for five poor people, with an annual allowance of 5s. each.