Hide

hide
Hide

WHITESTONE

From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

WHITSTONE, or Whitestone, a scattered village, 3½ miles W.N.W. of Exeter, has in its parish 670 inhabitants, and 4046 acres of land, picturesquely broken into hill and dale. One of the hills commands extensive views, in which Exmouth, Honiton, and other distant places may be seen. The manor was anciently held by the Beaumont, Powderham, and Bohun families. It passed from the latter to the Courtenays, and is now held by the Earl of Devon, but a great part of the soil belongs to the executors of the late Thomas Sowdon (owners of Whitstone House,) the Rev. Nathaniel Cole, of South Brent, (owner of Hurston House,) J.W. Abbott, Esq., and several smaller freeholders. That part of the parish called Hallesford Ward was formerly a manor, including Naddir, Rohorn, and other farms. Sherewood, at the west end of the parish, is an extraparochial farm, belonging to Mrs. Floud. The Church (St. Catherine,) stands on a commanding eminence, and is an ancient structure, with a tower and four bells. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £19. 13s. 4d., and in 1831 at £707, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Charles Brown, M.A., who has a good residence, and 73A. 1R. 35P. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1839, for £616. 16s. per annum. The Church House, which had been vested from an early period for charitable uses, was rebuilt, in 1753, by John Splatt, and divided into apartments for the use of a schoolmaster and five poor people. Mr. Splatt also gave two fields at Heavitree, and directed the rents to be applied in repairing the building and supporting the inmates. These fields comprise 6A. 1R. 88P., and are let for about £26 a year, of which £10 is paid to the schoolmaster for teaching poor children. The poor parishioners have the dividends of £114. 10s. 9d. three per cent. consols, purchased with the gifts of Ann Best, John Sowdon, and others. They have also a yearly rent-charge of £3, left by Thos. Sowdon, in 1733, out of Higher Southway estate; and the dividends of £112. 7s. 3d. three-and-a-half per cent. consols, left in 1837 by Mrs Mary Brown, wife of the present rector.

Brown Rev Charles, M.A. Rectory
Gilpin Lawrence, Esq. Sherewood
Harris Saml. vict. Traveller's Rest
Hawkins John, blacksmith, Naddir
Newman Joseph, tailor
Pike Robert, wheelwright
Stocker Hannah, vict. Royal Oak
Stocker John, schoolmr. & par. clerk
Yarde Thos., Esq Whitstone House

CARPENTERS.
Butlin Wm.
Carter J.
Mayne John
Pester George, Hallesford

FARMERS.
Baker Mark
Baxter Edward
Beer Peter
Bushell Wm.
Cheviton Richard
Cheviton Wm.
Harris Samuel
Hawkins Samuel
Hawkins Sarah
Isaac Wm.
Roberts Joseph
Salter Henry
Seward James
Seward W. Naddir
Taverner John
Tucker Robert

SHOEMAKERS
Reed George
Liscombe Jermh

POST-OFFICE at John Stocker's. - Letters desp. 4 aft

Brian Randell, 3 Jul 1998