"WIDECOMBE-IN-THE-MOOR, sometimes spelt Widdecombe, or Withecombe-in-the-moors, is a scattered village, picturesquely seated in a valley on the eastern side of Dartmoor Forest, 6 miles N.W. by N. of Ashburton. Its parish is a detached member of Haytor Hundred, and contains 1106 inhabitants, and 10,614 acres of land, including the hamlets, &c., of Cator, Ponsworthy, Poundsgate, Linchaford, Fernhill, Dunstone, Blackslade, Lower-Tor, &c., and about 4700 acres of open commons, called Newbridge, Blackdown, Natsworthy, Jourdan, &c. The parish rises in bold hills from the river Dart and several of its tributary streams, and great improvements have been made of late years in the Forest farms. . . . The Church (St. Pancras,) is a large ancient structure with a lofty tower and six bells. On Sunday afternoon, Oct. 21st, 1638, it was much damaged by lightning, which killed four and injured 62 of the congregation then assembled in divine worship. .. . . The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £25. 13s. 9d., and in 1831 at £332, is in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter, and incumbency of the Rev. Jas. H. Mason, M.A., who has 86A. 1R. 6P of glebe, and a good residence. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Haytor Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter. Regarded as part of the Dartmoor area. The modern parish of Leusdon was formed here (1864).