"WITHERIDGE, a parish in the hundred of the same name, county Devon, 8 miles E. of Chulmleigh, 9 S.E. of South Molton, and 10 N.W. of Tiverton, on the road from South Molton to Tiverton, near the point where the river Sturcomb joins the Little Dart. It was once a borough and market town, and still contains 1,237 inhabitants, but is decreasing. The Tiverton hounds meet on Witheridge Moor. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value £355, with 49 acres of glebe. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, was repaired in 1853. The Independents and Bible Christians have chapels. There are National and British schools, both partially endowed. The charities, exclusive of the school endowments, produce about £35 per annum. A fair is held on Midsummer-Day for cattle and sheep."